Walmart's New Farm Animal Standards
Breaking news: Walmart has redefined their approach to animal welfare in what will be a new set of five standards. While there’s no indication of when they’ll enact all of these rules (e.g. a kill date for when to stop caging hens) and how far the standards will extend on a global scale (these currently only apply to U.S. operations), they are as follows:
1. Are raised in ways that allow them to engage in natural behaviors, including having sufficient space and socialization with other members of their species.
2. Be provided more comfortable living conditions.
3. Are free from painful mutilations.
4. Be spared mental discomfort or distress.
5. Be given ready access to water and feed.
Click the link below to see the full story, this is a potentially enormous change to how the grocery business will operate in America.
Original article & image source: http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne/2015/05/walmart-animal-welfare-news.html